Top Questions About Reliant Electricity Service
Get answers to our most common questions and links to more answers if you can't find what you need here.
Top questions about signing up
How do I sign up for electricity with Reliant?
Visit our How to Sign Up page to get started.
Why is the plan I want not available to me?
Some plans are only available in certain zip codes or geographic areas. You may see a plan advertised and even get to a page describing the plan online only to discover it is unavailable for your address. Some plans are only available for a limited time, so we may have retired the plan before you were able to sign up. If you believe a plan should be available to you, but you are not seeing it online, please chat with us online or call our customer service center at 1-866-RELIANT1-866-RELIANT. We will look up the specific plan and explain why it may or may not be available.
If you are already a Reliant customer, your current contract may not be up yet. You can check and see if you are eligible to change plans in your online account. Log in, go to Plan, and you should see your plan expiration date on the page as shown below.
If your plan is expiring within the next month or two, you may be able to select a new plan. Click on Renew or Change Plan in the menu to start the process.
I finished the enrollment process online, but I received a message that says I need to send more information before my service can start. What do I do?
Several factors can result in you having to send us more information. We may need to verify your identity if we didn't have a match for your name and information in our records. You may need to pay a deposit or provide a letter of credit from a previous electricity provider. Details about how to resolve these issues can be found on our Requirements to Start Service page.
How do I compare plans?
Instructions for comparing plans can be found in step 3 on our How to Sign Up page.
How do I compare Reliant to other electricity companies?
See how Reliant compares to other electricity companies below:
- Ambit Energy
- Bounce Energy
- Cirro Energy
- Direct Energy
- Gexa Energy
- Green Mountain Energy
- Stream Energy
- TXU Energy
My question isn't covered here. Do you have more answers?
Yes! Go to our full list of sign up questions›
Top billing questions
How can I lower my monthly bill?
The best way to reduce your electricity bill is to use less electricity. We have a large collection of energy-saving tips to help you do exactly that.
However, we understand that sometimes, you've already done everything you can do. We do have other options to help make your bill more manageable:
- Average billing — If eligible, you can sign up to pay a bill that averages your last 12 months of usage. You will still have to pay for all the energy you use, but average billing allows you to pay a more even amount throughout the year. So when AC usage peaks during the summer, payment for some of that usage will be deferred to later months when you use less electricity. More details can be found on our average billing information page.
- Financial help — If you are in a time of crisis, there are programs that will give you some financial support to help pay your electricity bill. These include the Reliant CARE program, payment extensions and deferred payment plans. You must meet eligibility criteria to get these services.
- Home improvement projects — If you're handy around the house, you might want to undertake a weekend project to seal and insulate your home. You can make many adjustments, small and large, that can lead to significant changes in your electricity bill. Find out which projects might be worth your time and money.
Why do I have a fee on my account? Can it be removed?
We will always be up front with you about any fees on your bill. Our fees are mandated by the Public Utility Commission of Texas. Some fees on your bill are required by your transmission and distribution service provider (TDSP). We explain common fees on our Understanding Your Bill page, which includes definitions of the items included on almost all our customers' bills.
Are payment arrangements and extensions available?
Yes, but you must be eligible for them. For more information on payment extensions and deferred payment plans, visit our Financial Help page.
Why did my payment not go through?
Your payment may not have gone through for one of several possible reasons:
- There could be a typo in the payment information you entered.
- You got a new card and have not entered it in your online account yet.
- If you paid by phone, the agent may have entered your information incorrectly.
- If you paid by phone, you may have given the agent the incorrect information.
- You may have reached your card limit, or there are not enough funds available in your account.
My billing question isn't covered here. Do you have more answers?
Yes! Go to our full list of billing questions›
Top account and service questions
How do I cancel my service?
You can cancel your Reliant service online. Many term plans charge a cancellation fee if you end your contract early. For information specific to your plan, visit the My Plan page in the Plan section of your online account, where you can download your Electricity Facts Label and Terms of Service or call 1-866-222-7100.
My power is out. Who do I call?
If your account is in good standing, your electricity is probably out because of a more general power outage. Your transmission and distribution service provider (TDSP) should have information on outages in your area. You can find your TDSP along with their contact information on our Report an Outage page.
If you think your account may have been disconnected, you can log in to check your account status. If your service has been disconnected, you should see a notification in red on your dashboard, directly under the bill amount.
My service was disconnected. How much money do I need in my account to be reconnected?
To restore electricity service on an account that has been disconnected for non-payment, you will need to make a payment that brings your account balance to $30 or more. Reconnects are performed Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
If a payment is made at a walk-up location, please call 1-877-734-72431-877-734-7243, Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) to discuss reconnection.
What is "Other" in the pie chart on the Usage Activity tab in my online dashboard?
"Other" accounts for several household appliances and electronics, but not your refrigerator or your HVAC unit. The items under "Other" include:
- Lighting (interior and exterior)
- Electronics (TV, game systems, stereo, computer)
- Fans (ceiling, room)
- Washer and dryer
- Kitchen appliances (ovens/stove top, microwave, dishwasher)
- Water heater (if electric)
Why does my home show that it uses a lot more energy than an Efficient Home or an Average Home on the Usage Compare tab?
The "Average Home" amount is the average usage of 20-100 homes similar to yours according to location, age, type (single-family/multi-family), heating source (gas/electric) and presence of a swimming pool. The "Efficient Home" amount is the average usage of the most efficient 20% of those homes similar to yours. If your usage is higher than you would like, you could try some of our energy-saving tips to lower your bill or a home improvement project designed to reduce your electricity usage.
My question isn't covered here. Do you have more answers?
Yes! Go to our full list of account and service questions›