Recognizing Scams and Fraud
Reliant wants you to be aware of how you can protect yourself against fraudulent activities. We recommend customers take precautions to protect their personal information and want to equip you with details that can help you recognize attempted scams. By knowing what to expect from Reliant when we interact with you, you can better identify and respond to potential fraudulent activities. If you feel you may have been the target of a scam by someone claiming to be a Reliant representative, call us at 1-866-222-7100.
Reliant representatives will never:
- Demand that you email us account or payment information. We may send email reminders for you to update your credit card or personal information, but you can make those updates and payments via your secure online Reliant account or by calling us at 1-866-RELIANT.
- Collect in-person payments at your residence.
- Ask you to purchase any kind of gift card or wire funds to make a payment on your account.
- Have your utility company/TDSP (e.g., CenterPoint, Oncor, TNMP, AEP) contact you to make a payment on your account.
- Insist on entering your residence without an appointment. You are never obligated to allow a Reliant employee into your home.
Reliant representatives will:
- Only ask for payment information if you are attempting to pay by phone and have verified that you have the level of account access to do so.
- Only send your bill via email if you have opted to receive your bill electronically.
- Ask you to verify that you are the account holder or have the necessary level of account access before discussing your account.
- Contact you before coming to your home to perform services.
- Identify themselves as Reliant representatives if they visit your place of residence and wear a branded badge with their name, identification number, photo and Reliant phone number. You can always call to verify their identity and status before letting them inside.
Call Reliant at 1-866-222-7100 or chat with us online if you’re ever unsure about the identity or intentions of someone claiming to be a Reliant representative, or if you feel you may have recently been a victim of fraud.
Call Reliant at 1-866-222-7100 if you’re ever unsure about the identity or intentions of someone claiming to be a Reliant representative, or if you feel you may have recently been a victim of fraud.