Who We Are
When considering which electricity provider to choose, more than 1.5 million Texans turn to Reliant for residential or business service. Our solid foundation starts with our Fortune 500 parent company, NRG Energy, Inc. Together, we are leading energy innovation and working to simplify and enhance the way you power your home, your business and your life on the go.
As one of the largest Texas electricity providers, we are proud of the diverse range of electricity plans we offer and feel a responsibility to make sure we understand our customers and give them what they need. In that spirit, Reliant now offers much more than electricity.
Our Texas electricity plans include added features and benefits that make our customers' lives easier and help them manage their energy usage. Want to pair a smart thermostat with your electricity plan? We’ve got you covered. Want to earn rewards for reducing your electricity usage? We can do that, too. You can even earn bill credits for selling back solar electricity that you don’t use.
We take pride in each of the residences and businesses we power. Our goal is your happiness. We work hard every day to achieve this, while giving back to the community in which we live and work. Here's how we help.
Online account management
We offer a robust online account management dashboard that puts you in control. Here are just a few of the things you can do in your online account.
- Manage your usage and account information
- Pay your bill or sign up for automatic payments
- Track and compare usage over time
- View projected bill estimates
- Sign up for text alerts
- Compare your usage to similar homes in your area
The NRG family of companies
There’s another reason Texans turn to Reliant when they wonder, “What electricity company should I use?” Reliant and NRG are working hard to deliver high-value, easy-to-access energy and home management tools and services — especially in Texas.
Aside from electricity plans, Reliant also offers:
- Free Home Energy Checkups – See a snapshot of your home’s energy usage along with personalized advice on how to improve your home’s energy efficiency.
- Security by Reliant for your home and business – Enjoy customizable packages, 24/7 monitoring, professional installation and access to it all from the palm of your hand via the Reliant Connect app.1
- Home maintenance and protection plans – Protect yourself from the impact of high home repair bills with plans, provided by Allied Warranty, that can help offset a portion of the costs for unexpected repairs to your AC, heating, plumbing or electrical systems.2
We take pride in each of the residences and businesses we power. Our goal is your happiness. We work hard every day to achieve this, while giving back to the community in which we live and work. We support our local communities by:
- Empowering our customers to better manage their electricity usage and cost with innovative plans, products and services
- Leading the nation in bringing innovative, smart energy solutions to customers
- Delivering award-winning customer service and support 24/7, online or by phone
- Providing 23 million MWh of power annually to retail customers in the U.S.
- Supplying competitive pricing to U.S. businesses as the largest commercial and industrial retail electricity provider in Texas
- Working in the communities we serve by volunteering 13,000 hours and donating over $2.5M annually to local charities and social agencies
It's easy to tell that we love what we do. It shows in the quality of our product and the culture of our workplace. Our company values reflect our commitment and are the touchstones that have allowed us to become one of the largest Texas electricity providers. They keep us focused and aiming for the best at work every day. It's what you've come to expect from us, and it's what you deserve.
Our core values provide a framework for our employee and business strategies, decisions and behavior. They are the standards by which we STRIVE to conduct our daily business, work with one another and interact within our communities.
The history of electricity in Texas
Electricity in Texas has a rich history. Quite rich, in fact! As you might imagine, things were simpler back in the 1800s. There were no electricity meters, so service was provided at a flat rate.
But despite this modest beginning, the wheels of progress were turning. And in the decades to come, electricity generators and providers around Texas would play a vital role in bringing the city of Houston to prominence as a major city in the 20th century. Like today, it was all done through an unwavering commitment to service, innovation and community.
Over the course of the next century, not only did electricity become essential to residential homeowners and renters throughout the city of Houston, it powered the city’s economic development, helped make NASA’s first spacewalk possible and established the city's preeminent role in the space program.
As the new millennium approached, change was in the air. Competition had revolutionized the telecommunication and airline industries, traditionally dominated by a few major players, and Texas electric providers were next. This transformation of the electricity industry into a competitive marketplace resulted in a better system for customers, with a new emphasis on consumer choice and, as always, service. In 2001, Reliant was certified as a residential electricity provider, determined to help power Texas with greater efficiency and better tools for customers than ever.
Today, as part of NRG Energy, Reliant is even stronger. Our commitment to sustainability, renewable energy, innovation and community involvement uniquely positions us to create value for our customers, employees and shareholders while enhancing our commitment to preserving the environment. With the support of our parent company, Reliant will continue to provide our customers the highest level of service and seek out innovative solutions designed to improve our communities and the lives of generations to come.