Pay as you Go FAQs
What is the Reliant Pay as you Go plan?The Reliant Pay as you Go plan is an electricity plan for customers who have a Smart Meter. The plan offers customers the freedom to decide how much electricity to purchase, as opposed to a traditional plan that sends out a bill at the end of a billing cycle. In addition, customers can choose to make recurring payments and avoid any worries about dwindling account balances.
How do I add funds to my Reliant Pay as you Go account?
We offer three easy ways to add funds to your available balance:
- Log in to your account and pay with a credit card, debit card or electronic check.
- Call 1-877-734-7243 to use the automated customer service system to pay via credit card, debit card or electronic check.
- Visit a convenient walk-up payment location, and then let us know your payment is being made by calling the number shown above.
Is a minimum payment required when I begin my Reliant Pay as you Go account?Yes, a minimum payment amount of $50 is required. After that, you decide how much and how often to increase your available balance; however, we recommend maintaining a balance sufficient to cover at least 14 days of estimated electricity usage.
Can I sign up for Reliant Automatic Payment options while on the Reliant Pay as you Go plan?Yes. Log in to your account and select the Account Services tab. Click on Automatic Payment to begin the sign-up process.
What if there are insufficient funds in my bank account to cover the payment?A $25 returned payment charge will be assessed against your Reliant account if funds are insufficient to cover the online payment.
How will I keep track of my Reliant Pay as you Go balance?Each week you will receive a Weekly Balance Summary that includes your current account balance, detailed information on the prior week’s electricity consumption and an estimate of the number of days of electricity remaining in your account. Along with these weekly communications, your current balance is available 24/7 at reliant.com or through our automated customer service system at 1-866-872-6644. You can also opt in for Reliant AccountAlerts, which will notify you on demand of your usage and balance via text or email.
Will I be notified when my Reliant Pay as you Go balance gets low?Yes, you will receive a low balance notification via email or text when your account balance contains only enough funds to cover seven days or less of estimated electricity usage. These daily notifications will continue until your account balance is increased to an amount equal to or greater than the estimated cost of more than seven days of electricity usage.
How is my electricity restored after a service disconnection?To restore electricity service on an account that has been disconnected for non-payment, you will need to make a payment that brings your account balance to $50 or more. Reconnects are performed Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
If a payment is made at a walk-up location, please call 1-877-734-7243, Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) to discuss reconnection.
How will Reliant help me manage my electricity usage?Your Weekly Balance Summary will provide greater insight into your home’s electricity usage. You can also log on to reliant.com and manage your account, 24/7.
What happens if my account balance drops below $5?Your electricity service may be disconnected for non-payment, or failure to maintain a balance greater than $5, at any time. To restore your service, you will be required to pay an amount to bring your balance up to $50 or more. We recommend maintaining a balance sufficient to cover at least 14 days of estimated electricity usage.
Will I continue to receive a monthly bill on the Reliant Pay as you Go plan?No. This plan replaces your traditional monthly bill with a Weekly Balance Summary that provides detailed information on your actual electricity usage for the prior week, along with an estimate of the remaining days your current balance will cover.
Reliant AccountAlerts for Pay as you Go Customers FAQs
I have the Reliant Pay as you Go plan. Which types of Reliant AccountAlerts text messages can I sign up for and receive automatically?On the Alerts and Contact Preferences page, you can sign up for a variety of automatic alerts:
*Payment confirmation, weekly balance and low balance alerts (via text message or email) are mandatory communications as part of the Reliant Pay as you Go plan.
- Receive a payment confirmation alert when your account has been updated to reflect a recent payment*
- Receive a weekly balance alert with your balance and estimated days left*
- Receive a low balance alert when your account balance is estimated to drop below $5 in seven days or less, based on average electricity usage*
- Receive an alert if your usage on a specific day is at least 25 percent higher than expected (based on actual weather and your home's previous usage for corresponding weather conditions)
- Receive an alert when your payment was not processed
- Receive an alert when your credit card is about to expire (AutoPay only)
- Receive an alert when you have been removed from AutoPay
- Receive alerts when you request to start or stop service, or when a disconnect notice or reconnect request has been issued
- Be notified when new text alerts are available.
I have the Reliant Pay as you Go plan and would like to request account and usage information as I need it. Which types of Reliant AccountAlerts text messages can I request on demand?Text the following keywords to 697697 to get up-to-date information when you need it. Message and data rates may apply.
- BAL — to receive your current account balance
- USAGE — to receive your usage in kilowatt-hours so far this month
- HELP — for resources to answer questions about your account
- STOP — to stop receiving all text messages from Reliant (Please ensure that you have elected to receive email communications so we can send you low account balance alerts and other critical notifications.)