Energy Saving Tips for Your Spring Bill
During the spring, homeowners can easily cut back on their home electricity usage by taking advantage of nature’s gifts. With temperatures starting to warm up, you can turn off your heater and open the windows to enjoy the natural breeze and cut back on energy costs.
The spring weather also makes for a great time to spring clean and inspect your home for repairs. The pleasant weather is a lot easier to work in compared to summertime. Take this time to check around your home for improvements that need to be made to enhance your home's energy efficiency.
What is the best way get the most out of my AC?
Once you turn on the AC, you will ultimately want to keep inside air in and outside air out. With that in mind, inspect your home for leaks to find any places where air may escape. Weatherstrip your outside doors and caulk your windows to keep air from sneaking out. You may need to push furniture away from air vents to keep air flowing throughout your home uninterrupted, and double check to confirm that all air vents are open.
This spring, what can I do to prepare for summer?
- Caulk leaks that allow air to escape your home.
- Check to make sure your AC is in good condition and will work properly. Cleaning or replacing filters can lower your systems energy consumption by up to 15%.1
- Take advantage of this time of year to use ceiling fans to cool off if your house gets warm. You can also open the windows to let cool air in if the weather is nice.
- Use natural lighting. Open the blinds to let natural light in and reduce your home energy usage.
- Install window treatments such as blackout curtains to block out the heat that will accompany the arrival of summer.
- Seal ducts. Air loss through ducts accounts for approximately 30% of a cooling system’s energy consumption.2
What can I do to manage my electricity bill costs?
- Sign up for average billing to get a more consistent energy bill each month. With average billing, your bill is determined based on your energy usage from the last 12 months at your address.
- Sign up for AccountAlerts, a text message service that automatically notifies you when your costs exceed a set amount and/or your daily usage jumps by 25%.
- Download the Reliant App to check your balance and manage your account anytime from your mobile device.
- Get an AC Tune-Up to make sure your home cooling system is working properly and efficiently.
- Call 1-888-339-7378 to speak with a Reliant energy expert who can answer any questions you may have about energy usage.
- Check out our other energy-saving tips to learn more about how to reduce your home energy usage.
For more information or assistance with your spring electricity bill, call us at 1-866-735-4268.
1U.S. Department of Energy https://energy.gov/articles/10-energy-saving-tips-spring
How far in advance should I start preparing my home for summer to save energy?Anytime in the spring is a good time to start thinking about what needs to be done to make sure your home is energy efficient. Ultimately, it is important to prepare your home cooling system prior to the hot weather settling in. Start scheduling inspections when it is most convenient for you but make sure your system will be ready before the hot summer heat kicks in.
Does Reliant offer home energy checkup services?If you want to find out more about your home energy usage and how to reduce it, Reliant customers can get a Reliant Home Energy Checkup for free. With our Home Energy Checkup service, you receive a free home energy snapshot, which includes details about your home’s energy usage over the last year, a home efficiency rating, tips to improve your home’s energy efficiency and a baseline with which to measure your home’s progress year-to-year. You can also schedule an in-home consultation to get personalized strategies for improving the energy efficiency of your home.
How frequently should I change my air filters to be energy efficient?Depending on the type of filter you have, changing your filter every 30 or 60 days is the best way to keep the filters clean and ensure the air flow is uninterrupted by debris. Reliant provides you with access to a convenient air filter delivery service that delivers air filters to your doorstep, helping you remember to change your air filters regularly. By signing up for air filter delivery, you can keep the air filters in your home free of dust and your HVAC moving air efficiently.