Midtown & Downtown
Downtown Houston, historically known as the energy center of the nation, has worked hard to cultivate a new energetic pedestrian-friendly vibe. Discovery Green, a 12-acre park that hosts concerts, movies, restaurants, farmer's markets and other activities for all ages, has dutifully taken on the roll of downtown's true social epicenter. Green Street, home to Reliant's Houston headquarters, has livened up the downtown scene with three floors of entertainment, spanning four blocks and offering 12 high-end restaurants, numerous boutiques, and Houston's House of Blues, among other establishments. Houston is our home, and as your Houston electric company, we want to fill you in on the best places to eat and spend your time in town.
Downtown's art scene is alive and well, with some of the best performing arts companies located in downtown's Theater District. Three professional sports teams call downtown Houston home: the Rockets' Toyota Center, the Astros' Minute Maid Park and the Dynamo's BBVA Compass Stadium. Midtown is thriving as well, and may just be the most pedestrian-friendly hot spot Houston has to offer. A great place to do brunch on the weekends or check out an art gallery, Midtown especially comes alive at night with its upscale eateries, hip bars, clubs and lounges.
- High Fashion Home - A four-story behemoth of interior décor, High Fashion Home is full of beautiful, creative furniture, fabrics, lighting and art. Trust that they will have whatever you are looking for, and in countless options. Prices are quite high, but one whole floor is dedicated to ongoing sales.
- GreenStreet Downtown - Three stories of dining, shopping and entertainment in the heart of downtown; you can plan your whole weekend around its establishments, which include Scott Gertner's, high-end bowling alley Lucky Strike, Pete's Dueling Piano Bar and the House of Blues. GreenStreet is also the home of Reliant/NRG!
- Adkins Architectural Antiques and Treasures - Adkins is an old, beautiful house that sells décor for old, beautiful houses. Stained-glass windows and frames, doors, door hinges, door knobs, intricate tiles and countless other types of beautifully crafted antique goods fill the various rooms in Adkins, and a warehouse in the back offers garden décor. A unique shopping experience!
- The Tipping Point - One of the few boutiques downtown, The Tipping Point is small and hip, offering the latest hip-hop-flavored sneakers, clothing and accessories in a space thoughtfully designed to let all its products breathe.
- The Breakfast Klub - This Houston breakfast staple features soul food done right. Enjoy chicken and waffles or catfish and grits with terrific coffee as the affable owner Marcus greets you personally. Be sure to get there early - the line on the weekends is an experience unto itself!
- Huynh - Downtown's best Vietnamese food. Considered to be very authentic, their vermicelli bowls are quite popular as are their pho and duck salad.
- The Original Ninfa's on Navigation - Did you know it wasn't always a chain? The Original Ninfa's on Navigation is the first of its kind in Houston and is widely considered the best. Mama Ninfa, Ninfa Rodríguez Laurenzo, started Ninfa's as a taco stand in 1973. She is credited with popularizing the fajita in Houston, so pay homage by trying the homemade tortillas and fresh ingredients at this Houston landmark.
- The Pass & Provisions - Paired with the more casual Provisions, The Pass is newly opened fine dining that must be experienced to be believed. The eight-course meal is a foodie's delight, and the wine or cocktail pairing is a perfect way to enjoy an already decadent meal.
- La Carafe - The oldest bar in Houston, La Carafe is a living piece of the city's history. It's a dim, candle-lit haunt that maintains a calm yet dynamic atmosphere. Be warned, their antique cash register only accepts cash.
- Discovery Green - This 12-acre public urban park offers a reprieve from the concrete jungle downtown. Discovery Green hosts a bevy of events and programs for all ages, ranging from a weekly farmer's market to an ice skating rink to a water park. Be sure to catch one of the more popular events, a movie from the natural stadium-style seating of Discovery Green's hill, a rarity in Houston!
- Sundance Cinemas - Classy, cozy movie theater with gorgeous décor and a distinctively un-theater-like menu including adult beverages. Seating is spacious and includes personal end tables, and movie selections include both mainstream and independent flicks. Parking can be tricky so get there early (they do validate, though!).
- Alley Theatre - Founded over 60 years ago as Houston's professional theatre company, Alley Theatre focuses on introducing new American plays, and reinterpreting the classics. The Tony-award winning theatre group brings 11 productions to life each season, including family favorite A Christmas Carol.