Heights & Washington
Funky and cozy, hip and relaxed, the Heights area has experienced an influx of young professionals in recent years who are attracted to the toned down, amenable atmosphere blended in with the ascending, trendy restaurants and bars. The Heights tree-dotted esplanades and older homes help shape its personality as a reprieve from the urban sophistication of downtown and manicured opulence of River Oaks, while still being close enough to it all to be convenient. Another area on the rise for young people, Washington has embraced its demographic and has innumerable options for 20- and 30-something socialites to explore. Urban townhome and apartment living thrive in this area, along with upscale restaurants, bars and lounges.
Check out our suggestions below about what to see and do in these local hot spots. At Reliant, we're more than your Houston electric company; we're your neighbor.
- First Saturday Arts Market - The First Saturday Arts Market features local artists, wood craftsmen, photographers, and jewelry makers who are often accompanied by live music and even a few food trucks. A perfect way to spend a Saturday.
- Hello-Lucky - Whether you are looking to pick up a gift or shopping for yourself, Hello-Lucky is a one stop shop for local and unique goods featuring jewelry, clothing and other eclectic treasures.
- 19th Street Shopping District - Comparable to the charming main street of a small college town, the 19th Street Shopping District is home to a variety of coffees shops, boutiques, and restaurants while also playing host to a variety of Heights District festivals.
- Canino Farmer's Market - Wide variety of local produce.
- El Bolillo - Homemade tortillas and authentic Mexican baked goods.
- Houston Dairymaids - Fine cheeses from local farmers.
- El Tiempo - Upscale Tex-Mex that actually delivers, El Tiempo is known for their flavorful parillada (mixed grill) platters as well as their margaritas.
- Liberty Kitchen - Liberty Kitchen serves as The Height's ultimate seafood hub, serving up exotic oyster specials and king crab legs in a hip atmosphere.
- CRISP - Look no further for the perfect neighborhood restaurant. Crisp provides Heights dwellers with a variety of pizzas, short ribs, an expansive beer and wine list and delectable brunch options on the weekends.
- Coppa - Handmade Pasta, enormous meatballs, and mushroom pizza are only some of the reasons Coppa is inarguably one of the top Italian eateries in Houston.
- Gatlin's BBQ - While the location is tiny, Gatlin's BBQ 's brisket, ribs, and pulled pork is a force to be reckoned with. There is a reason it ends up on Houston's top barbeque lists constantly.
- Stude Park - Runners, walkers, bikers, and children can all enjoy Stude Park's beautiful green space with amazing views of the city.
- Karbach Brewery, Co. - Beer enthusiasts can easily spend a Friday evening or Saturday Afternoon at Karbach Brewery. A mere $7 affords you a tasting glass and a few tokens to sample from a variety of their craft beers.
- Adickes SculpturWorx Studio - Be sure to bring your cameras to one of Houston's hidden gems. Adickes SculpturWorx Studio houses various historical and pop culture statues, all gigantic in stature, including a host of former presidents as well as all four Beatles.