Hurricane Harvey Support
How you can help
Thanks to the outpouring of kindness and generosity from our communities throughout Hurricane Harvey, we've been able to provide more than $2 million in disaster relief resources. Here are some of the relief agencies we've concentrated on supporting, if you’d like to join us. We know you're eager to help, and whatever you can do is a gift to those recovering from this massive storm.
NRG Center (click for map) ›
Salvation Army Family Residence Shelter (click for map) ›
There are numerous other ways you can make a difference. Here’s a list of additional organizations throughout our community that need your help.
Coastal Bend Disaster Recovery Group Fund ›
Coastal Bend Disaster Recovery Group Fund benefits seven county regions: Aransas, Bee, Jim Wells, Kleberg, Nueces, Refugio, and San Patricio.
Friends for Life ›
Friends4Life needs kennels, carriers, cat food, dog food, collars, leashes, cat beds and dog beds. You can drop off supplies in the garage of 601 Woodland Ave, 77009 (Heights) and 315 West Polk, 77019 (Montrose) or make a financial donation.
Houston Pets Alive ›
Houston Pets Alive need your help with transportation from animals displaced by Hurricane Harvey.
Our customers, our communities
The Community Assistance from Reliant Energy (CARE) program works with non-profit social service agencies to provide extra funds to customers who qualify for assistance with their electricity bill.
CARE is designed to help supplement what you are able to pay for electricity costs, not necessarily pay your entire electricity bill, and it can't be used to cover unreasonably high electricity consumption.
Texas residents can call 211 for assistance, or may contact your area's social service agency directly.
More help to pay your bill
Some customers are eligible for payment extensions and deferred payment plans. These programs do not reduce your total bill, but they may make it easier to manage the payment during difficult times.
Reliant in the community
Reliant and our parent company NRG are working to support the safety and recovery of the people in our communities. So far, we have provided more than $2 million in relief support, which includes in-kind relief efforts valued at more than $1 million and $1 million in cash donations. This funding goes toward:
- A relief fund for impacted employees
- Enrollment and billing assistance to impacted customers
- Deployment of our 26-foot Power2Serve truck, which serves as a mobile power generation station and provides an air conditioned space for emergency responders and area residents
- Twenty NRG Go stations dispensing portable phone battery chargers to area shelters
- Two 18-wheeler trucks distributing Goal Zero® portable solar-powered generators and battery charging products to impacted communities
- Contributions to a variety of relief agencies and other charities
Some organizations benefiting from Reliant and NRG funding include:
- Greater Houston Community Foundation on behalf of the City of Houston and Harris County
- American Red Cross
- J.J. Watt Foundation Houston Flood Relief Fund
- Team Rubicon
- SBP USA